While 75 percent of Michigan voters oppose a $0.45-per-gallon gas tax hike – which is now being pushed in addition to a graduated state income tax hike – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is assuring voters that these tax hikes will only affect the wealthy, as well as the middle class and poor, but no one else.

“These tax hikes will only ask our state’s top 5 percent of income earners to pay more,” Whitmer said. “And the other 95 percent. But no one else.”

Immediate polling following Whitmer’s comments show middle-class voters more supportive knowing the new taxes will affect the wealthy, and the state’s lowest income earners relieved to hear they’ll affect the wealthy and middle class.